Secondary Mastery Taster Day, Sandhurst
- Secondary Mastery Taster Day, Sandhurst
25 Mar 2020
9:00 am - 3:30 pm
The purpose of this day is to introduce KS3 Mathematics Leads, Heads of Departments, Mathematics departments line managers and other interested teachers to teaching for mastery in mathematics and demonstrate why it would benefit their students.
The session will include an overview of the elements which contribute to mastery (the five big ideas); explain how they impact on students learning and how they are planned and delivered in the classroom. There will be an opportunity to see how these elements are delivered in the classroom by a lesson observation followed by a debrief and discussion of the lesson. To complete the day we will also explain how this way of teaching can be developed and rolled out in school. Currently there are four fully trained secondary mastery specialists and four more who are near completion of their training in the BBO Maths Hub region and some of them will be leading the day together.
Within the schools who have already been working with mastery, teachers report:
- a higher level of participation in lessons;
- an increased ability to explain reasoning mathematically;
- a more positive mindset towards mathematics;
- greater understanding of the links in mathematics;
- an increased ability to solve problems and generally a lot more confidence.
Venue: Sandhurst School
Parking available in the sports centre next to the school.