The purpose of these days is to introduce KS3 Mathematics Leads, Heads of Departments, Mathematics departments line managers and other interested teachers to teaching for mastery in mathematics and demonstrate why it would benefit their students.
The sessions will include an overview of the elements which contribute to mastery (the five big ideas); explain how they impact on students learning and how they are planned and delivered in the classroom. There will be an opportunity to see how these elements are delivered in the classroom by a lesson observation followed by a debrief and discussion of the lesson. To complete the day we will also explain how this way of teaching can be developed and rolled out in school. Currently there are four fully trained secondary mastery specialists and four more who are near completion of their training in the BBO Maths Hub region and some of them will be leading the day together.
Within the schools who have already been working with mastery, teachers report:
- a higher level of participation in lessons;
- an increased ability to explain reasoning mathematically;
- a more positive mindset towards mathematics;
- a greater understanding of the links in mathematics;
- an increased ability to solve problems and generally a lot more confidence.
There are four options to attend a Secondary Mastery Taster Day in the BBO area. Sign-up via one of the links below:
16 March 2020 High Wycombe
25 March 2020 Sandhurst
23 April 2020 Didcot
27 April 2020 Aylesbury
Shanghai Exchange updates, Work Group availability, Christmas wishes – for all the latest news: Newsletter 4 -Dec
If you are a Mastery Specialist, Specialist Leader in Education, Professional Development Lead, Work Group Lead, Heads of Department or Mathematics Lead, we would love to see you at one of our LLME events. We are looking to develop a Local Leaders in Mathematics Network to develop learning and teaching in Mathematics in the BBO Maths Hub area. The meetings will include opportunities to further develop leadership skills, sharing and discussing best practice in teaching Mathematics, and the chance to network with other leaders within the area. Participation is free and you would be very welcome to attend as many meetings as you can!
Bucks : (Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to attend)
- Holmer Green Junior School , HP15 6TD 16th December 2019, 4.30 to 6.30 pm
- Holmer Green Junior School , HP15 6TD 12th February 2020, 4.30 to 6.30 pm
Berks : (Please e-mail email@example.com if you wish to attend)
- Falkland Primary School, Newbury, RG14 6NU, 9th January 2020, 4.30 to 6.30 pm
- Bracknell, 13th February 2020, 4.30 to 6.30 pm
Oxon : (Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to attend)
- Longford Park Primary School, Banbury, 5th December 2019 , 4.00 to 6.00 pm
- Witney Community Primary School, 12th December 2019 , 4.00 to 6.00 pm
SECONDARY LLME (Please e-mail email@example.com if you wish to attend).
Bucks : Wycombe High School, Marlow Road, High Wycombe, HP11 1TB
- 4 to 6 pm, 12th December 2019
- 4 to 6pm 10th February 2020
Berks : The Willink School, School Lane, Reading, RG7 3XJ (Use RG7 3JZ for SAT Nav)
- 3.30pm to 5.30 pm 25th November 2019
- 3.30pm to 5.30pm 3rd February 2020
Oxon : Didcot Girls School, Manor Crescent, Didcot, OX11 7AJ
- 9.30am to 11.30am 28th November 2019
- 9.30am to 11.30am 6th February 2020
LEVEL 3 LLME (Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to attend.)
Bucks: Wycombe High School, Marlow Road, High Wycombe, HP11 1TB
- 4 to 6 pm 30th March 2020
Berks: Edgbarrow School
- 4 to 6pm Monday 15 June 2020
Oxon: Wheatley Park School, Holton, OX33 1QH
- 4 to 6 pm 12th December 2019
Emma Parr works as a Year 2 teacher at Cholsey Primary School in South Oxfordshire, where she is maths and Key Stage 1 lead. Although she has a single year group this year, for the past 10 years she has been teaching in mixed age group classes. Emma has been a mastery specialist with BBO since 2017 and thoroughly enjoys the opportunity to work with a range of schools and teachers.